Tuesday, January 18, 2022

I Will Start Again...

 



Have you ever had that "ah-ha moment" when something that's said slaps you upside the head at the most unexpected moment?  Oddly enough, this happened to me recently while watching a Netflix show. One of the main characters passed away and her on-screen best friend read a poem at the funeral.  About half-way through the reading, the following was said:

"For my sake - turn again to life...and smile."  

And, my goodness, did this make me think.  I started to think about some very important people I have lost in my life - grandparents (x 4), Troy (brother), and Mama Ell (childhood babysitter).  Perhaps it's important to note that I was supposed to find out "the news of my apparently failed marriage / impending divorce" on the 27th anniversary of my brother's death - July 31, 2021.  Thank goodness, I found out on July 30th - just 7 hours before the 31st.  (I call this a "God thing" - there have been some crazy "God things" throughout all of this...more on that another day.)  Maybe the meaning of this date seems like an odd "fact." Or, maybe you understand the significance of a "death-anniversary."  It doesn't really matter...the crumbling of my world as I knew it didn't deserve to be on the same day as my brother's death. Period. End of story. 

Then, the impact and memories I have of Mama Ell, my childhood babysitter, made me pause and think even more when I heard that single line from the poem. (Mama Ell was one AMAZING lady.  I will include the tribute I wrote for her when she passed away - just to give you a small idea of how incredible she was.)

As this line was spoken: "For my Sake - turn again to life...and smile," it hit me. Maybe Troy and Mama Ell sent me this message.  You see, that's something they would TOTALLY do.  I can so imagine them conspiring to send me such a message from heaven... "For my sake - turn again to LIFE...and SMILE." Or, perhaps something like this (in today's slang talk): "Kari, for goodness sake, live your life - the one and only God gave you. Smile!  You have always been slightly obsessed with smiley faces. So, do it - just live life and smile. Truly LIVE this life and let your smile shine."  You see, they are exactly right. We do deserve to live this life and smile. 
  • When you feel beyond defeated and there is no way up, turn again to life...and smile. 
  • When you feel like you are just getting by or barely surviving, turn again to life...and smile. 
  • When you can't seem to get out of bed in the morning because the emotional pain is too much to bear, turn again to life...and smile.
  • When you sit at home on a Monday night drinking wine and replaying every single detail of what has happened the past 6 months, turn again to life...and smile.

Because, you see, NO MATTER WHAT, there is good. There really is something good in every bad situation.  Sometimes the good is (really) hard to see. Other times, maybe it's not as hard. But, don't forget to look for it...it's there. Hold on to these moments...the moments when you see and/or feel the good. Write them down. Tell someone else. Cling to the good and dismiss the bad. Don't forget what you've learned from the bad, but remember that the bad no longer defines you. Nope. Dig deep and find the determination to let the good define you.  Maybe that means taking a step forward instead of two steps back. Maybe that means telling someone "hi" when you meet them on the street. Maybe that means finding new best friends and people who positively impact in ways you never thought possible. Maybe that means just being present...without the stress and anxiety of worrying what anyone else thinks. Maybe that means offering grace to others, but also yourself. Whatever it is, cling to it. Cherish the good. You'll be glad you did.

But, always, no matter what, embrace the ah-ha moment and for the sake of those gone before us and our one eternal Savior, turn again to LIFE...and SMILE.  If that means starting over, do it. I think you'll be glad you did...at least I hope so...

Until next time…Kari [xoxo] 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mama Ell tribute: 

Just Yesterday

It seems like just yesterday you yelled “Woo Hoo” across the street to give us all a big wave.  I loved hearing that sound, but I loved it even more when it was followed with you walking across the street with your bright, happy smile to come chat…even if for just a few minutes. 

It seems like just yesterday you poured dish soap on the cement pad outside, followed with water so we could play in the soap and bubbles!  Oh, that was so much fun.  Little did I know, you probably just wanted it (or us) cleaned! 

It seems like just yesterday you lined us all up along the cabinets in the kitchen to make sure we remembered the rules and would follow them.  I don’t remember a single time you “yelled” at us…you just talked to us like your own. 

It seems like just yesterday we played “library” in your kitchen.  We were “old-school” and still had the paper checkout sheets.  We had such fun writing the due dates on the 20 books each of us checked out. 

It seems like just yesterday you would yell, “HIT THE DECK!” With that, we all fell to the floor to be the first to find whatever was dropped! 

It seems like just yesterday I hid from my Mom when she came to pick me up each day.  I cried because I didn’t want to go home.  Mom could usually get me to come if she said we were going to “Wally World” (aka Wal-Mart).  But, I specifically remember a time that didn’t even work and I cried, “but I don’t wanna go to Wally World! I wanna stay here!” Now that my own kids do this, I understand the angst that causes for a Mom, but also the comfort in knowing the kids are well taken care of.

It seems like just yesterday Angie fell off the swing set and broke her arm.  I will never forget you getting out a cutting board to splint it, but I was certain you were going to cut her arm off.  Of course, I should have known better – Mama Ell knew how to handle EVERYTHING.

It seems like just yesterday you called me “Re-Re” and Troy “Otto.”  The only problem was that I went home and told Mom you had a new name for Troy.  I couldn’t remember it, but I did remember that was spelled the same backwards and forwards and was just o’s and t’s.  Instead of remembering “Otto,” we thought you named him “Toot.”  “Toot” stuck from that day on…

It seems like just yesterday we talked about having a “Mama Ell’s kids” reunion.  We never did, but you should see the memories flowing on our Facebook group right now! 

It seems like just yesterday we prayed at your house.  Yes, prayed.  I wish everyone had a Mama Ell – maybe this world would be a kinder place.

It seems like just yesterday, all of us kids piled into your vehicle (totally illegal these days) and went to the Summer Reading program at the library! 

It seems like just yesterday we marched in the Kiddie Parade as “Ell’s Angels.”  What a sight that was!

It seems like just yesterday Angie, Casey, and I would lay down at nap time on our individual mats and look under the bed skirt and talk to each other.  You’d tell us to be quiet, but I’m pretty sure we never listened…and you knew better anyway.

It seems like just yesterday you were here with us…smiling, giving hugs, fixing all of our boo-boos (we had A LOT of those), saying “Oh Roger” when he’d pull a funny stunt, hollering at Holly the dog, teaching us cross-stitch, and setting such an amazing example - for us to just love each other. 

You see, Mama Ell, you touched so many lives in such a positive and profound way.  You treated us with love and respect.  You helped raise us.  To explain you to someone who has never known you is almost impossible because there will only ever be ONE Mama Ell.  And, you were simply the best.  Your faith and love for all, but especially Jesus, will never be forgotten and never taken for granted.  I only have regrets that I didn’t see you more.  But, here’s the thing…

I told Leah last night that you weren’t doing too well.  She cried. She cried hard.

Among many other memories, she said, “So I won’t get to ride with her on the swing anymore and pretend we’re going to different countries?”  -  No, Leah, you won’t, but what a great memory!

Today, I told Leah you went to heaven. You know what she said (after shedding a few tears)?… “Can I go to her funeral. I loved her.”  - Yes, you can… and me too, Leah, me too.  What an impact you made on a 7-year-old you maybe saw twice a year.  But, that was just you – so incredibly special! 

Mama Ell - Thank you for making such a huge impact in so many lives.  Thank you for showing grace every day.  Thank you for always loving me (and so many others).  You made a difference in my life and, for that, I will be forever grateful.  Most of all, please know how special you were and how much I loved you.

Love,  Your “Re-Re” - Kari (Frerking) Woodard

Written: 2/26/18




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Therapy Session...& those SHOES!

  The above picture... I want those shoes!  Like, I legit want them!  They scream confidence, authority, classiness, and - well, frankly - ...